June Reading Wrap-Up

ISSUE 04 - - - - - - JULY 2026

Albeit late, the June reading wrap-up is here! I read mostly middle grade this month, with a few YA sprinkled in, with a variety in different genres including fantasy, contemporary, and historical fiction. These are all clean books---no spice whatsoever, but if there is some cursing, I'll put an asterisk by the title.

Books read: 7

Average star rating: 3.89 stars

Going in chronological order, the first book I've read this month is:

Percy Jackson and the Olympians #2: The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riorden

I enjoyed this book, but not nearly as much as the first one. I liked seeing how Percy fit in with the real world after Camp, and then being recruited again to go there. I also liked the addition of Tyson, seeing how his and Annabeth's relationship grew. Honestly, I did not like the plot as much as I liked The Lightning Thief's plot, so I'm hoping the other books will get better from here!

4.00 stars

The Edge of Forever by Meghan P. Browne

This is a library book I got out, a debut novel by Browne. It's a contemporary middle grade set in Texas. I rated it 3.5 stars, but looking back, I'd lower it to just a 3...because I didn't know the point of this story. There wasn't a meaning behind it---it just felt like a bunch of characters going around completing a bunch of side quests with no motive. It's not very memorable, and both the plot and characters were basic. I did enjoy the setting, though---the steaming hot desert of Texas and how the writer described it was nice.

3.00 stars


Force of Nature by Melissa Clarke

This is another library book. It's a YA contemporary-magical realism type book, where the main character discovers that she's 'Mother Nature' (as in, she can control the weather). I don't have anything much to say about this other than in my mind, it was fun to read at the time and entertaining but wholly forgettable. I feel like I'm being a Negative Nancy by being so harsh...but that's my true opinion guys.

3.00 stars

Summer Promise (Christy Miller 1) by Robin Jones Gunn


I actually enjoyed this book more than the previous two. (The cover shown is not the one I own. I don't know why this cover shows Christy as a 40-something year old lady, but okay.) Honestly, Christy's character was kind of cringy, but that might've just been her being a young teen. Her being so obsessed with Todd at only fourteen was a little questionable? But other than that I loved the setting and everything behind this book. A fun, short read.

3.50 stars

Sky's End (Above the Black 1) by Marc J. Gregson*

This book is one of the best fantasy I've read in a very long time. I was not expecting to like it as much as I did. I honestly expected it to be pretty boring, but it did not disappoint. With the rise of 'romantasy', I've found books pitched as fantasy ended up leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth---cringy, not well written, and just feels like fast fashion but in books. This fantasy, though, is very, very good. The climax had me on the edge of my seat the entire time, and I loved the main character's arc and how he changed over the series. The internal conflict was written so well, and so was the tiny hint of romance, and so were the supporting characters. AGH! The best book this month!

*Includes some language

4.75 stars


When Marnie Was There by Joan G. Robinson

This book was in the YA section of the library but I'm pretty sure it's actually a middle grade. This was the most whimsical, descriptive, and coastal-summery book ever with a hint of magical realism. The writing was gorgeous, and it felt like a modern classic. (Well, maybe it is...it was written in the 1960s I'm pretty sure.) Books like this makes me wonder how many amazing older books were written, and how many just aren't printed anymore. This follows Anna, a girl who is ordinary and 'doesn't try much' and who's adopted. She gets sent to the sea to live with family friends for the summer, and there she meets a mysterious girl who wears old nightgowns. This was the perfect slow summer read, and I enjoyed it so much. 

4.5 stars

The Blossoming Summer by Anna Rose Johnson


Anna Rose Johnson is one of my favorite middle grade historical authors, and I will eat up anything she writes. (Fun fact...her blog inspired me to create this one!) The Blossoming Summer is set in 1940, before the Blitz, following British Rosemary as she and her family moves to America to escape the war and live with her long forgotten Grandmother. I found the pacing of the book to be pretty slow, but it worked well in this favour. Rosemary is definitely the Oldest Sister who is the peacemaker of the family.

4.00 stars

Overall, this was a very good reading month for me (considering I went through finals while reading all of these) and I hope to have an even better reading month in July! I'll see you on the next post, or on my channel!

-Christine Marie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Book is Released!

Flickers of Gold: A Short Story

PJO: The Lightning Thief Review